Looking for gifts for your loved ones (or yourself) this holiday season? Want to buy from local, collectively-owned, and democratically-governed businesses? Check out our holiday guide, full of gift ideas all sourced from New York cooperatives!
Give the gift of a night out to your favorite exhausted parents! Hire a childcare worker-owner from one of the following cooperatives:
- Beyond Care (Brooklyn-Based)
- Hopewell Care Childcare Collective, contact: (718) 521-6730, email@example.com (Brooklyn-Based)
- Love & Learn Childcare Cooperative (Staten Island-Based)
- NannyBee (Manhattan-Based)
- Damayan Workers Cooperative, contact: (212) 564-6057, DamayanWorkersCoop@gmail.com (Manhattan-Based)
Give the gift of a clean home to a busy family or friend! Hire a homecare worker-owner from one of the following cooperatives (please note, locations indicate where the co-ops are based, many take clients throughout the five boroughs):
- Si Se Puede!
- Ecomundo Cleaning
- Bio-Classic Cleaning (contact: (347) 674-7312, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Pa’lante Green Cleaning.
- Apple Eco Cleaning
- Brightly Cleaning (contact: 347-286-4134)
Give the gift of a cooking class, wellness consultation, yoga class, or acupuncture! Support these health-focused worker-owners and collectives today:
- Woke Foods specializes in vegan Dominican food.
- Khao’na Kitchen offers a fusion between Filipino and Indian culture.
- Samamkäya Back Care & Scoliosis Yoga Collective is a therapeutic, worker-owned yoga studio, specializing in yoga for those with back pain and scoliosis in Midtown, Manhattan.
- Third Root Community Health Center offers yoga classes, acupuncture, and other health treatments in Ditmas Park, Brooklyn.
Give a loved one some cooperatively made treats!
- Equal Exchange provides ethically-sourced and cooperatively-produced chocolate, bananas, avocados, coffee, and tea from around the world!
- Cabot Creamery is an upstate farmers’ cooperative that makes cheese, yogurt, butter, and dips!
- Organic Valley has got you covered with yogurts, milk, creamers, meats, potatoes, eggs, and butter!
Help your friends and family decorate their home with co-op art, literature, and more!
- JustSeeds is a decentralized network of 30 artists, making social justice oriented graphics perfect for you or your friend’s home!
- Radix Books is a worker-owned and operated union print shop and publisher based in Brooklyn (that now does publishing)! Buy a book or print today!
- Don’t miss out on this new book from Credit Union expert Cliff Rosenthal: Democratizing Finance: Origins of the Community Development Financial Institutions Movement.
Give the gift of… cooperation!